TLC-Bytes … Toxic food to avoid: Soft Drinks

A carbonated drink is nothing more than a toxic brew of colouring agents and chemicals with no nutritive value.

Why do we care?

A regular bottle contains an equivalent of 11 teaspoons of sugar and excessive consumption can lead to increased triglyceride (fat) formation and decreased glucose tolerance, either of which may cause diabetes. A regular can of a soft drink contains 45 milligrams of caffeine and can lead to a dependence on the substance. These drinks have a pH of 3,4 (acidic), which is strong enough to dissolve your teeth and intestinal linings. For habitual drinkers, the risk of bone fractures increases by three to four times and in the long run may even cause osteoporosis. Probably the most disturbing fact about soft drinks is that the zing, which makes them so appealing, comes from a combination of phosphoric acid and an anti-freeze compound, ethylene glycol (a poison). Carbonated drinks are aerated with carbon dioxide—the same substance which is the waste product of our respiratory process and would otherwise cause suffocation if left in the lungs. These drinks also have high fructose corn syrup that has mercury and over time damages body cells.

Diet Soft drinks have artificial sweeteners (Saccharin, NutraSweet, Aspartame) that are small quantities of poison because these alter brain neurochemistry. Diet drinks are also associated with a two-fold increased risk for kidney decline, a 34% higher risk of metabolic syndrome, the group of symptoms including belly fat and high cholesterol that puts you at risk for heart disease and a  greater risk of becoming overweight.

Diet sodas also contain mold inhibitors. They go by the names sodium benzoate or potassium benzoate, and they’re in nearly all diet sodas. These chemicals have the ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria to the point that they totally inactivate it.

Sometimes, the vessel for your beverage is just as harmful. Diet or not, soft drink cans are coated with the endocrine disruptor bisphenol A (BPA), which has been linked to everything from heart disease to obesity to reproductive problems.

What can I do?

Avoid soft drinks of any kind! Drink Water!

For more information on living a healthy life and making healthy choices:  www.tlcforwellbeing.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>